Asian Chicken Salad with Wasabi Dressing
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
This delectable poached-chicken salad, packed with Asian pear, cucumber and bean sprouts, offers a double hit of wasabi. First, F&W's Melissa Rubel Jacobson whisks wasabi powder into the dressinga blend of mayonnaise, rice vinegar and sesame oilthen she garnishes the salad with crunchy wasabi peas.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 3/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons wasabi powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 heads Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 large Asian pearhalved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup roasted wasabi peas, coarsely chopped
- In a large saucepan, cover the chicken breasts with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook over moderately low heat until the chicken is white throughout, about 12 minutes. Transfer the poached chicken breasts to a plate and let stand until cooled slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the rice vinegar, wasabi powder, Asian sesame oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons of water and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the lettuce with the Asian pear slices, cucumber, scallions, bean sprouts and 2/3 cup of the wasabi dressing. Slice the chicken breasts crosswise 1/4 inch thick and lay the slices on top of the salad. Spoon the remaining wasabi dressing over the chicken breasts, sprinkle with the chopped wasabi peas and serve at once.
Crisp, appley Riesling.