- 4 ounces sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 4 ounces green tea buckwheat noodles (soba); see Note
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken cutlets, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 8 canned water chestnuts, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the sugar snaps and cook until bright green, about 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, transfer the sugar snaps to a large plate to cool. Add the buckwheat noodles to the saucepan and boil until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain the noodles in a colander; rinse with cold water and drain again.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil. Add the chicken strips, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is lightly browned and white throughout, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the large plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and the shiitakes to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, soy sauce and oyster sauce and bring to a boil. Add the noodles, chicken, sugar snaps, water chestnuts and scallions and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve.
Green tea buckwheat noodles (soba) are available at health food stores and Japanese markets.
One Serving 317 cal, 7 gm fat, 1.7 gm sat fat, 29 gm carb, 1.8 gm fiber.