Arugula, Mushroom and Walnut Salad
- SERVINGS: 8
Chef Uberto Creatini gathers fresh porcini mushrooms for this salad. But since raw porcini can cause unpredictable allergic reactions, we play it safe here with cultivated mushrooms. The dressing doesn't clash with wine because it's not made with vinegar or lemon juice.
- 1 cup walnut pieces (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons full-bodied red wine
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 16 cups packed arugula leaves ( 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 pound white or cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a pie plate, toast the walnuts for about 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the olive oil with the wine. Season with the salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the arugula, mushrooms and walnuts. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Serve on salad plates.