- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ears white corn with small kernels, shucked
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 loosely packed cups arugula or peppercress (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 fresh organic nasturtiums (see Note), gently torn into bite-size pieces (optional)
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, mix the Champagne vinegar with the minced shallots and season the mixture with salt and pepper. Let the shallots stand in the vinegar for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, using a sharp, thin knife and working over another bowl, cut the kernels from the ears of white corn.
Whisk the olive oil into the Champagne vinegar and shallots until blended. Add the arugula and toss with the dressing. Add the cherry tomatoes and the corn kernels and toss gently. Transfer the salad to a large platter, scatter the nasturtiums on top and serve.
When using flowers in a recipe, be sure that they are edible and organic (meaning they have not been sprayed with chemicals). Do not purchase flowers for cooking from florists or garden centers. Organic flowers are available at farmers' markets, specialty markets and some supermarkets.