Arugula-Endive Salad with Honeyed Pine Nuts
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
This salad reinvents the classic combination of blue cheese and honey with crumbled Maytag blue and a crunchy, brittle-like garnish made from honey and pine nuts. Pine nuts have a subtle flavor that goes especially well with milder honeys, but other nuts, like pecans and walnuts, work nicely here, too.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (2 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons honey, preferably clover
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 Belgian endiveshalved, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 ounces Maytag blue cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat the parchment with cooking spray. In a nonstick skillet, combine the pine nuts with 2 tablespoons of the honey. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the nuts are golden and coated with honey, 4 minutes. Pour the nuts and honey onto the baking sheet. Using a spatula, spread the nuts in an even layer; let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the remaining 2 teaspoons of honey with the vinegar and the mustards. Gradually whisk in the oil; season with salt and pepper. In a bowl, toss the arugula with the endives and blue cheese. Break the honeyed pine nuts into small pieces and add them to the salad. Add the dressing, toss to coat and serve at once.