- 4 large artichokes, stems trimmed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- Hot sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
Set a steamer basket in a large pot over 1/2 inch of boiling water. Arrange the artichokes, stem side down, in the basket. Cover and steam over moderate heat until a knife easily pierces the stems, about 30 minutes. Transfer the artichokes to a platter.
In a bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, dill, capers, lemon zest and juice, salt and paprika. Add a few dashes of hot sauce and season the mayonnaise with pepper. Serve the artichokes warm or lightly chilled with the mayonnaise.