- 6 large artichokes
- 2 lemons—1 halved, 1 thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2/3 cup chopped mint
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 8 very fresh baby artichokes
- 24 thin slices of bresaola (4 ounces)
How to make this recipe
Working with 1 large artichoke at a time, cut off all but 2 inches of the leaves. Discard the dark outer leaves, then trim the artichoke bottom and stem. Quarter the bottom and scrape out the hairy choke. Rub the quarters with 1 lemon half, then squeeze the juice from the half into a bowl of water. Add the artichoke quarters. Repeat with the remaining large artichokes and lemon half.
In a saucepan, combine the lemon slices, garlic, red pepper and white wine with 1/2 cup each of oil, mint and water. Arrange the artichoke quarters in the saucepan; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the artichokes are just tender, 25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
In a small bowl, toss the red onion with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice; let stand for 10 minutes. In another bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons each of oil and lemon juice with the citrus zests.
Remove the dark outer leaves from the baby artichokes and trim the stems. Using a mandoline, thinly shave the artichokes and toss with the lemon dressing. Drain the onion and add to the shaved artichokes with the remaining mint. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the <em>bresaola</em> on a platter. Using a slotted spoon, spread the cooked artichokes on the <em>bresaola.</em> Top with the shaved artichoke salad and a drizzle of olive oil and serve.