- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 strips of bacon, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 pound thin green beans
- Two 9-ounce packages frozen quartered artichoke hearts, thawed and drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
In a medium saucepan, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat until the fat is rendered, about 3 minutes. Add the onion, carrot and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the water, wine, lemon juice, thyme leaves and bay leaf, cover and simmer until the onion and carrot are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the green beans and artichokes, cover and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf. Add the parsley and transfer to bowls. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil.