- 4 medium artichokes, stems removed
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups (packed) mixed baby greens, such as mizuna and arugula
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced tarragon
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley or chervil
- Arrange the artichokes in a steamer basket, stem end down, and steam over a few inches of boiling water until the artichokes are tender when pierced through the bottom with a small knife, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool slightly. Pull off all the leaves from the artichokes and, using a small spoon or melon baller, scrape out and discard the hairy choke. Cut each artichoke bottom into 6 wedges.
- Heat 6 tablespoons of the olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the shallot and cook over low heat, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and lemon juice and simmer over moderately low heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Transfer the dressing to a bowl and let cool slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the baby greens in a large bowl. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the artichoke bottoms and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato wedges and cook until just heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Add the warm dressing and the chives, tarragon and parsley to the artichokes and spoon over the greens. Toss well and serve at once.
The steamed artichoke hearts can be refrigerated overnight. Let return to room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.