Artichoke, Cauliflower and Mushroom Barigoule
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 first-course servings
Barigoule is a traditional Provençal dish of braised artichokes in a warm and slightly tangy white-wine broth. With the addition of cauliflower and carrots, it's a fabulous vegetable alternative to a salad.
Great Comfort Food Recipes
- 1 lemon, halved, plus 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 large artichokes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 5 small garlic cloves, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 pound cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (4 cups)
- 3/4 pound white mushrooms, quartered if large
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fill a large bowl with water and squeeze the lemon halves into it. Using a sharp knife, halve the artichokes crosswise. Discard the tops. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, pull off the outer green leaves until you reach the tender yellow leaves. Scrape out the hairy choke with a melon baller or spoon. Trim and peel the base and stem, then quarter the heart and add the artichoke quarters to the bowl of water. Repeat with the remaining artichokes.
- In a large deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and carrots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaves, thyme and coriander seeds and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine, water and the 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the carrots are barely tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the artichokes and add them to the skillet along with the cauliflower and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and cook over low heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Transfer the vegetables and broth to shallow bowls and serve.
Make AheadThe barigoule can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.
NotesOne Serving 193 cal, 8 gm fat, 1.1 gm saturated fat, 23 gm carb, 5 gm fiber.