Artichoke-Arugula Soufflé Squares
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Another option for serving these airy squares is to set them on mini cocktail toasts.
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 4 scallions, cut into thirds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup packed arugula leaves
- Two 6-ounce jars marinated artichoke heartsdrained, rinsed and patted dry
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- Coarse salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Brush a 9-inch-square baking pan with olive oil. Line the pan with parchment or wax paper and oil the paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the scallions with the garlic cloves and arugula leaves until they are finely chopped. Add the artichoke hearts and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Whisk in the nutmeg, pepper and a dash of Tabasco. Add the eggs to the processor along with the Cheddar and pulse just to combine; the mixture should be chunky.
- Pour the soufflé mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake the soufflé for 30 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a rack and let cool slightly.
- Turn the soufflé out onto a cutting board and carefully peel off the parchment paper. Cut the artichoke-arugula soufflé into small squares and serve warm or at room temperature, sprinkled with coarse salt.
Make AheadThe squares can be made up to 2 hours ahead and served at room temperature.