Artichoke-and-Spinach Dip with Spiced Pita Chips
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Ken Oringer often serves dip at winter tailgates because it travels well and is simple to eat (no plates or forks necessary). When the weather is very cold, he likes to reheat this creamy, slightly spicy dip in a skillet on a portable grill, but it's also delicious at room temperature.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 16 ounces marinated artichokes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Two 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Spiced Pita Chips, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the artichokes and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until nearly evaporated. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the cream cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano and lemon zest and season with Tabasco. Cook, stirring, until the dip is creamy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and serve warm or at room temperature with the Spiced Pita Chips.