Artichoke and Goat Cheese Bruschetta
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 thyme sprigs
- One 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 pound mild fresh goat cheese, softened (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 thin slices from a baguette
- Preheat the broiler. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering. Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme sprigs and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the artichokes and lemon zest and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Scrape the thyme leaves into the skillet; discard the sprigs and bay leaf.
- Transfer the artichoke mixture to a food processor. Add the goat cheese and lemon juice; pulse until pureed. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish, cover and keep warm.
- Brush the bread slices with olive oil and broil for 1 minute, turning once, until golden and crisp. Serve the artichoke spread with the baguette slices.
A full-flavored California Sauvignon Blanc.