© Quentin Bacon
Artichoke & Fontina Pizzas
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN Plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: Makes two 10-inch pizzas
Cookbook author Eugenia Bone marinates frozen artichokes overnight in olive oil with garlic, herbs and lemon juice before scattering them on these pizzas. If you prefer, you can also use marinated artichokes from the deli.
- 16 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small dried red pepper
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- Two 8-ounce balls of store-bought pizza dough
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely grated imported Fontina cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the artichoke hearts with 1 cup of the olive oil, the lemon juice, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and chile pepper. Season with salt. Cover and refrigerate the artichokes overnight or for up to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Dust a work surface with cornmeal and roll out each piece of pizza dough to a 10-inch round. Transfer to baking sheets. Drizzle the rounds with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Bake for about 8 minutes, until the dough looks dry and bubbles appear on the surface. Remove from the oven.
- Chop the artichokes into bite-size pieces; drain them on paper towels. Sprinkle the Fontina over the pizzas; distribute the artichokes over the cheese. Season with salt and pepper; return the pizzas to the oven. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the edges are browned. Serve hot.