Arroz con Pollo
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Arroz con Pollo is a perfect all-in-one meal—the chicken, rice, and vegetables simmer together, enhancing each other and giving the cook a break. Using juicy dark meat chicken thighs and drumsticks are the key to the rich flavoring of this easy arroz con pollo.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 ounces smoked ham, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1 cup rice, preferably long-grain
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Cook the chicken, turning, until well browned, about 8 minutes in all. Remove. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the ham, onion, and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften, about 3 minutes longer.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and the remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the rice and add the chicken in an even layer. Simmer, partially covered, over moderately low heat until the chicken and rice are just done, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
This traditional Spanish favorite will work well with any smooth, full-flavored red, such as a Merlot or Zinfandel from California or a Rioja from Spain.