- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 8 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 large thyme sprigs
- 2 strips orange zest
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cognac
- Four 8.75-ounce cans large snails (see Note), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- About 48 snail shells, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, combine the wine, water, garlic, thyme, orange zest, shallots and Cognac. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
Add the snails, salt and a few grindings of pepper, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 20 minutes. Transfer the snails to the shells and serve.
The snails can be refrigerated in their aromatic liquid for up to 2 days. Reheat gently before serving.
Snails and their shells are available at specialty food shops.