- 4 flat pita breads
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 small white onion, grated
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pickled vegetables, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 425°. Arrange the pita breads on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet. In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, bell pepper, tomato paste, pistachios, parsley, cumin, oregano, allspice, half of the garlic and the 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Spread the meat mixture on the pitas in an even layer. Bake for about 8 minutes, until the meat is browned in spots and cooked through.
In a small bowl, mix the yogurt with the lemon juice and remaining garlic. Season with salt. Serve the flatbreads with the garlicky yogurt and pickled vegetables.
Try this fragrant beef dish with lively, earthy southern-French red.