Arctic Char, Black Rice and Napa Cabbage En Papillote
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
“Roasting fish in a foil packet is nice because it’s like serving a present to each person. Plus, the aroma of the fish stays contained, rather than lingering in the kitchen,” says Sara Forte of SproutedKitchen.com. Adding miso to the black rice here gives this light dish incredible depth of flavor.
- 3 tablespoons yellow miso
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup forbidden black rice (7 ounces), rinsed
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil or coconut oil (increases saturated fat by 7.2 grams)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage (12 ounces)
- Four 5-ounce skinless arctic char or wild salmon fillets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, whisk the miso with the vinegar, mirin and crushed red pepper. In a small saucepan, cover the rice with 1 1/3 cups water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Add the hot rice to the miso dressing and stir until combined.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 30 seconds. Add the cabbage, season with salt and cook until barely wilted, about 2 minutes. Scrape the cabbage into the rice and stir until well-mixed.
- Arrange 4 large sheets of foil on a work surface. Mound the rice mixture in the center of each foil sheet and top with the fish. In a small bowl, combine the honey, lime zest and juice and spoon over the fish. Season with salt. Bring up 2 opposite sides of the foil and fold to seal. Fold up the edges to create a packet.
- Transfer the packets to a sturdy baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for 12 minutes, until the fish is just cooked. Open the packets, sprinkle the fish with the pistachios and serve. make ahead The seasoned cooked black rice and cabbage can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. Bring to room temperature before assembling.
Citrusy, floral Washington state Riesling: 2011 Efeste Evergreen.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.