- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 allspice berries
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 ounce dried árbol chiles (about 50 chiles), stemmed and seeded
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- In a mortar or spice grinder, combine the cumin seeds, allspice berries, cloves and oregano and finely grind. Transfer to a blender.
- In a small skillet, toast the sesame seeds over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the seeds to the blender. Add the pumpkin seeds to the skillet and toast over moderate heat, tossing occasionally, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the pumpkin seeds to the blender.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the blender and puree until smooth. Funnel the salsa into a glass jar or bottle and chill before serving.
The salsa can be covered and refrigerated for at least 3 months.