- 1 1/2 pounds ripe red tomatoes
- One 9-inch English cucumber, peeled and chopped (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, crumbled
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup aquavit or vodka (optional)
- Dill sprigs, cucumber slices and lemon wedges, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a blender, puree the tomatoes with the cucumber, dill, horseradish, lemon juice and dried mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Strain the mix through a fine-mesh sieve set over a pitcher, pressing on the solids. You should have 3 cups of Bloody Mary mix.
For each drink, fill a cocktail shaker with ice and shake 3/4 cup Bloody Mary mix with 1/4 cup of aquavit or vodka, if using. Strain into an ice-filled highball glass. Garnish with a dill sprig, cucumber slice and lemon wedge and serve immediately.
The Bloody Mary mix can be refrigerated overnight.