Spicy Vegetable Stew with Tortilla Chip Crust
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
This smoky bean and kale stew is completely vegetarian and gets its kick from fresh and pickled jalapeño.
Warming Soup Recipes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 2 cups coarsely chopped kale leaves
- Two 15-ounce cans pinto beans, drained
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 roasted red bell peppers from a jar, cut into 1-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar (2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 pickled jalapeño, minced with seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Oil a 9-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the kale and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the pinto beans, tomatoes and roasted peppers and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the stew to the prepared baking dish. In a large bowl, toss the tortilla chips with the the cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses and the pickled jalapeño. Cover the stew with the tortilla chips and bake on the top shelf of the oven for about 20 minutes, until the stew is bubbling and the top is crisp. Let the stew rest for about 5 minutes before serving.