Kimchi Fried Rice
- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Julia Yoon's Seoul on Wheels truck makes daily stops in seven different locations around San Francisco's SoMa neighborhood to serve up Korean classics, like this kimchi-fried rice.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 1/2 cups cooked sushi, short-grain or white rice, cooled
- 1 cup kimchi, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kochujang (Korean sweet-spicy chile paste); see Note
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- Kosher salt
- In a large, deep nonstick skillet or wok, heat the peanut oil. When the oil is almost smoking, add the rice, kimchi and chile paste. Toss until the rice is thoroughly coated and heated through, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking the rice, without stirring, until a light brown crust forms on the bottom, about 1 minute. Drizzle with the sesame oil and season lightly with salt. Transfer to bowls and serve.
Notes Kochujang is available at Asian markets.