- One 12-ounce bottle lager
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Crusty bread, for serving
Light a grill. In a large skillet fitted with a lid, combine the lager with the shallot, thyme, bay leaf and crushed red pepper. Transfer the skillet to the grill and bring the lager to a boil over high heat.
Add the mussels to the skillet, cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, shaking the skillet a few times, until all of the mussels have opened; discard any that do not open. Stir in the butter and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mussels and their broth to bowls and serve with the crusty bread.