- 2 dozen littleneck clams, shucked and coarsely chopped—36 half-shells rinsed and reserved
- 1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375° and position a rack in the upper third. Spoon the chopped clams into the reserved shells and arrange on a large baking sheet.
In a medium bowl, mix the <em>panko</em> with the parsley, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until it resembles moist sand; season very lightly with salt and pepper. If the <em>panko</em> seems too dry, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Spoon the <em>panko</em> over the clams and press lightly. Dot each clam with a small cube of butter.
Bake the clams until the crumbs are sizzling and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.