- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES 8 MUFFINS
Dried apricots give these muffins a huge burst of energy. They're sold at Sundance's grocery deli, which is next door to the restaurant, and skiers like to grab them on their way to the lifts, which are right next door.
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dry milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly coat 8 muffin cups with vegetable oil spray. Soak the apricots in the hot water until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain the apricots, reserving 1/4 cup of the soaking liquid.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the cornmeal, dry milk, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, mix the buttermilk with the oil, honey, whole egg, egg white, orange zest and the apricots and the reserved apricot soaking liquid. Fold in the dry ingredients just until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for about 14 minutes, or until golden and risen. Unmold them right away and let cool slightly before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.