- Vegetable oil spray
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dry milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly coat 8 muffin cups with vegetable oil spray. Soak the apricots in the hot water until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain the apricots, reserving 1/4 cup of the soaking liquid.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the cornmeal, dry milk, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, mix the buttermilk with the oil, honey, whole egg, egg white, orange zest and the apricots and the reserved apricot soaking liquid. Fold in the dry ingredients just until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for about 14 minutes, or until golden and risen. Unmold them right away and let cool slightly before serving.
The muffins can be made up to 1 day ahead and reheated.
One Muffin 107 calories, 3.8 gm total fat, 0.6 gm saturated fat, 16 gm carb.