© Rob Howard
Apricot, Coconut and Almond Bars
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: makes 16 bars
These oat bars, packed with fruit and nuts, are like delicious granola made to go.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dried apricots (10 ounces), finely diced
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sliced blanched almonds (2 1/2 ounces)
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 10-by-15-inch jelly roll pan. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, sugar and apricots and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the apricots are tender and plump, about 15 minutes. Drain the apricots and return to the saucepan. Add the butter, brown sugar, honey and salt and cook just until the butter is melted. Transfer to a bowl.
- Spread the coconut and almonds on separate baking sheets and toast for 6 to 7 minutes, until lightly golden. Stir the coconut and almonds into the apricot mixture along with the oats and flour. Spread the mixture in the jelly roll pan in an even layer. Bake for about 25 minutes, until golden. Let cool on a rack, then cut into 16 bars.
Make Ahead The bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.