- 2 1/4 pounds large McIntosh apples peeled, quartered and cored
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Three 1-by-3-inch strips of lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sparkling apple cider
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, bring the apples, lemon juice and zest, sugar, sparkling cider and cranberries to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the apples soften, 20 minutes; stir to break up the apples slightly. Transfer to a bowl; discard the lemon zest. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The applesauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.