- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Calvados or other brandy
- 1 teaspoon baking soda mixed with 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 Red Delicious apples—halved, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- In a bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Beat in the sugar. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add the Calvados, baking soda mixture and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture, apples and pecans just until incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until the cake is deep brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely, then turn it out onto a plate. Cut the cake into wedges and serve.