- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Calvados or other brandy
- 1 teaspoon baking soda mixed with 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 Red Delicious apples—halved, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
In a bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Beat in the sugar. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add the Calvados, baking soda mixture and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture, apples and pecans just until incorporated.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until the cake is deep brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely, then turn it out onto a plate. Cut the cake into wedges and serve.