© Javier Salas
Apple Salad with Cabrales Cheese and Toasted Almonds
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 cup blanched whole almonds
- 7 medium garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 large Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 5 ounces Cabrales cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds on a small baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate and let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a small saucepan, cook the garlic cloves in the olive oil over moderately high heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Transfer the garlic and oil to a blender. Add the vinegar and shallot, season with salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Halve and core the apples, then cut them into 1/4-inch matchsticks. In a large bowl, toss the apples with the almonds, chives and dressing. Top with the Cabrales and serve.
Make AheadThe dressing can be refrigerated overnight.