- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Honeycrisp or Cortland apples (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream, for serving
- PREPARE THE APPLES In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the apples, raisins, sugar and lemon juice and cook over moderately high heat, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook the apples over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they’re very soft and caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes; add water by the tablespoonful if the apples get too dry. Let cool to room temperature.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE STREUSEL In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar and pecans. Rub the butter into the mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- MAKE THE CAKE Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan. In a medium bowl, combine the 1 1/2 cups of flour with the baking powder, baking soda, allspice and salt. In another medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, cream the 4 tablespoons of butter with the sugar until fluffy and pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg until incorporated. At low speed, beat in the buttermilk and the flour mixture in 3 alternating batches, ending with the flour mixture. Fold in the apples.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the batter and bake for about 45 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack and cool completely. Serve with whipped cream.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.