- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons Orange Muscat
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold solid vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon ice water
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
orange muscat cream sauce
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup Orange Muscat
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon finely grated tangerine zest
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a small saucepan, simmer the golden raisins in the Orange Muscat over low heat, covered, for 2 minutes; set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar and salt several times. Add the shortening and pulse 5 or 6 times, until it is the size of peas; add the butter and pulse 5 or 6 times, until it is the size of peas. Pour the ice water on top and pulse 5 or 6 times, just until the pastry is moistened.
- Transfer the pastry to a lightly floured work surface and knead several times. Divide the pastry in half and pat it into two 6-inch disks; wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Peel, halve and core the apples; slice them 1/4 inch thick, keeping the halves together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 disk of pastry to a 12-inch square, and cut it in quarters. Sprinkle 1/8 of the raisins and 1/2 tablespoon of the sugar in the center of each pastry square; set a sliced apple half over the raisins, fan slightly and sprinkle each one with 1/2 tablespoon of the sugar. Fold the pastry up around the apple halves and crimp decoratively. Set the pies on a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 more pies. Spoon any remaining Muscat from the raisins over the apples. Bake the pies for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the apples are lightly caramelized.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 50 minutes.
- Serve the pies warm or at room temperature with the Muscat cream sauce.