© Pernille Pedersen
Apple Crisp with Granola Topping
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 cups granola without dried fruit
- 3 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a shallow 3-quart baking dish. In a food processor, pulse 1 cup of the flour with the brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Pulse in the butter. Pulse in the granola. Transfer the topping to a bowl.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the granulated sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour, then spread in the baking dish. Sprinkle on the topping and bake for 1 hour, or until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling. Let cool for 20 minutes, then serve.
Make Ahead Store overnight at room temperature. Reheat before serving. Notes Cooking Club Tip: Buying nutmeg whole has several advantages. Not only does it have a longer shelf life than the packaged variety, but it tastes and smells more intense when grated fresh and is just as easy to use. Little nutmeg graters are available in cookware stores for this purpose, but any small, sharp grater will do.