- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 pounds large Granny Smith apples (about 7)—peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400° and position a rack in the lower third. In a food processor, pulse the flour with the brown sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add the butter and pulse until it is the size of small peas. Add the macadamia nuts and pulse twice, just until combined.
In a large bowl, toss the apples with the crystallized ginger, granulated sugar, lime zest, lime juice and a pinch of salt. Spread the apples in a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the apples and press gently. Bake the crisp for 50 minutes, until bubbling and the top is golden. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving with ice cream.
The crisp can be refrigerated overnight. Rewarm before serving.