- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 medium Northern Spy or Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in the oats, brown and granulated sugars and salt.
In a large bowl, toss the apples with the sugar and lemon juice. Add the dried cranberries, apple juice and melted butter and toss again. Spread the filling in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples. Bake in the upper third of the oven for about 55 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let the crisp cool slightly and serve.
The crisp can stand at room temperature for several hours. Serve at room temperature or rewarm in a 350° oven.
Unsweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.