- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 cups store-bought smoky Kansas City–style barbecue sauce
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the apple and cook until the moisture has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add the bourbon and cook until nearly evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sauce and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Use or refrigerate for up to 1 month.