© Christina Holmes
Apple Blintz Hand Pies
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 12 hand pies
These sweet little pies have a lovely filling that combines tart and sweet apples with farmer cheese and cinnamon.
Slideshow: Great Apple Pie Recipes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 pound all-butter puff pastry
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 Pink Lady apple, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup farmer cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a 12-by-16-inch rectangle and cut out twelve 4-inch squares. Transfer the squares to a baking sheet and freeze until firm, 10 minutes. In a bowl, toss the apples with the sugar, farmer cheese, cinnamon, salt and 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Brush the edges of the squares with the egg and mound 2 tablespoons of the apple filling on each one. Fold to form triangles and press to seal. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Using a fork, crimp the edges of the triangles. Brush the tops with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Cut 3 small slits in each to release steam. Bake until golden and crisp, about 30 minutes, shifting the pans halfway through. Let cool, then serve.