© Brittain Stone
Apple and Mixed Berry Crumble
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: makes two 9-inch crumbles
The cows on the island provide Alexandra and Eliot Angle with wonderfully fresh cream to pour over the warm crumble, but vanilla ice cream, lightly sweetened whipped cream or crème fraîche would be delicious here too.
- 2 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored, halved lengthwise and sliced paper thin
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pint blueberries (3 cups)
- 1 pint raspberries (3 cups)
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Heavy cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, toss the sliced apples with the lemon juice, granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Spread the apples in two 9-inch glass pie plates and top with the blueberries and raspberries.
- In another medium bowl, toss the oats with the light brown sugar, flour, ginger, salt and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Using your fingers, mix in the butter until crumbly.
- Spread the topping over the berries. Set the pie plates on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Serve the berry crumbles with heavy cream.