Anthony's Home Fries
- SERVINGS: 4
A former colleague, the late Anthony Delgado, gave Marcia Kiesel this delicious recipe.
- 4 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Hot pepper sauce, for serving
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and coarsely chop the potatoes.
- In a large heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the vegetable oil. Add the onion and red and green peppers and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Mix in the potatoes and press into an even layer in the skillet. Cook over moderate heat until browned and crusty on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the potatoes, adding the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet as you turn, and cook until well browned, about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with hot sauce.