- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound fresh fruit, such as Mirabelle plums, halved and pitted, or cherries, pitted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. Use the butter to coat a shallow 2-quart glass or ceramic baking dish. Arrange the fruit in the dish, cut side up.
In a small bowl, stir together the flour, cornstarch and a pinch of salt. In a medium bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of the sugar with the eggs, milk, cream and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in the dry ingredients until smooth. Pour the batter evenly over the fruit and bake for about 30 minutes, or until set and beginning to brown around the edge. Remove from the oven.
Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle the clafoutis with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Broil the clafoutis as close to the heat as possible for about 1 minute, or until the sugar is golden and caramelized; serve immediately.