- One 18.25-ounce box devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 pound cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners. In a large bowl, beat the devil's food cake mix with the cream cheese, water, vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla at low speed until smooth.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them two-thirds full. Bake until springy to the touch and a cake tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer the muffin pans to a wire rack and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, butter and milk and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, stirring until dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips until melted. Transfer the frosting to a bowl and let cool until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Dip the top of each cupcake in the frosting and return to the wire rack. Garnish the cupcakes with the almonds and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, until the frosting is set, before serving.
The frosted chocolate cupcakes can be kept in an airtight container overnight.