- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Eight 6-ounce chicken cutlets, about 1/8 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 pitted Calamata olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 marinated artichoke hearts from a jar, drained and quartered
- 2/3 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
How to make this recipe
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken cutlets in the seasoned bread crumbs.
- In each of 2 large skillets, melt half of the butter in half of the oil over moderately high heat. When the foam subsides, add the chicken to the skillets and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden brown outside and white throughout, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the cutlets to a platter.
- Wipe out 1 of the skillets and add the olives and artichoke hearts. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until heated through. Add the chicken stock, lemon juice and capers and boil for 1 minute, stirring. Spoon the artichoke and olive sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with the parsley and serve right away.
The mix of tangy, savory, Mediterranean flavors in this dish will blend best with a spicy, medium-bodied Mediterranean red from Languedoc-Roussillon or a rosé from Sicily.