- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 medium bunches of arugula, large stems discarded (4 packed cups)
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound angel-hair pasta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese, plus more for serving
- Freshly ground pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In a large serving bowl, combine the tomatoes with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the red wine and balsamic vinegars. Stir in the oregano and lemon zest and set the arugula on top.
In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the shallots. Season with salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente. Drain and add to the serving bowl with the shallots and 1/4 cup of Pecorino. Toss and season with salt and pepper. Serve with additional Pecorino.