- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes one 9-inch layer cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Marshmallow Icing
- Silver dragées, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans. On a sheet of wax paper, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Beat in the sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well between additions. Beat in the dry ingredients at low speed, in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Beat in the vanilla.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans and bake in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes, until golden and a cake tester inserted in the centers comes out clean. Let the cakes cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Unmold the cakes and let cool completely on the rack.
- Transfer a cake layer to a plate and frost the top generously with icing. Cover with the second cake layer and spread the top and sides with the remaining icing. Decorate with dragées and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.