- 6 ounces jarred or canned anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 1 fresh hot red chile, such as Holland or Fresno, seeded and chopped
- Four 1-inch-thick New York strip steaks (10 to 12 ounces each)
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium red onion, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 pound small tomatoes (preferably Campari), halved
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
How to make this recipe
- In a mini food processor, combine the anchovies and red chile and puree until smooth. Spread the mixture all over the steaks and season lightly with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Bring the steaks to room temperature before grilling.
- Light a grill and oil the grate. Brush the onion with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until softened and lightly charred, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a work surface. Grill the tomatoes cut side down over moderately high heat until lightly charred, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a work surface and let cool slightly. Cut the onion and tomatoes into 1/2-inch pieces and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the vinegar, chives and the 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the relish with salt and pepper.
- Grill the steaks over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred on the outside and medium-rare within, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to plates and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with the relish.
The relish can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature and stir in the chives before serving.
Peppery California Syrah.