Anchovy and Roasted-Pepper Salad with Goat Cheese
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
For Eataly's seafood dishes, Mario Batali enlisted the help of Dave Pasternack, chef-partner at his outstanding restaurant Esca. "This gives Dave another place to play with fish," Batali says. "Plus, I don't go to the Olympics without bringing my MVPs." Together they created this earthy salad with chopped cured anchovies in the dressing.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 large yellow bell peppers
- 10 cracked Sicilian green olives
- 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Six 1-inch-thick slices of peasant bread
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 pound log soft goat cheese, cut into 12 rounds
- Roast the peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler until charred all over; transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and let cool. Discard the skin, stems and seeds; cut the peppers into 1-inch-wide strips.
- In a bowl, stir the olives, anchovies, capers, rosemary, vinegar and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Fold in the roasted-pepper strips.
- Light a grill. Grill the bread over high heat until lightly charred and crisp, 30 seconds per side. Lightly rub each bread slice with the garlic clove and drizzle with olive oil.
- Arrange the goat cheese rounds on a large plate and pile the grilled bread alongside. Serve with the anchovy-and-pepper salad.
Clean, medium-bodied Soave Classico.