Anchovy and Piquillo Pepper Bruschetta
- SERVINGS: 6
This ultrasimple starter is from wine consultant Emmanuel Kemiji of the Ritz-Carlton.
Plus: More Appetizer Recipes and Tips
- Six 1/2-inch-thick slices Tuscan bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- One 8-ounce jar piquillo peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 6 anchovies, rinsed and chopped
- 12 caperberries, stemmed and sliced crosswise
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the broiler. Toast the bread until golden, then lightly brush with olive oil. Rub the toasts on 1 side with the garlic clove. In a small bowl, toss the piquillos with the anchovies and caperberries. Spoon the topping on the toasts. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
A light and dry manzanilla sherry from Spain will complement the anchovies and have a mineral earthiness that matches the peppers.