- 10 whole salt-packed anchovies (see Note)—rinsed, filleted and coarsely chopped, or 20 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aged red-wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- Grilled or toasted bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a food processor, combine the anchovies with the garlic and pulse until pureed. Blend in the butter. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the olive oil, a few tablespoons at a time, until incorporated. Stir in the vinegar and season with pepper. To serve, spread the Anchoïade on the grilled bread or put it out in a bowl alongside the toasts.
The Anchoïade can be prepared up to 4 hours ahead; keep it at room temperature.
Salt-packed anchovies are available at Greek and Italian markets, and their flavor and texture are worth the extra fuss. Rinse under running water, then separate each into 2 fillets, discarding the spine and any fins or tail pieces.