- SERVINGS: Makes about 3 cups
This sweet-hot compote is marvelous with the pungent Creamy Chicken Liver Mousse.
More Terrific Condiments
- 1 small ancho chile
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound moist dried figs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Soak the ancho in hot water until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry; discard the stem and seeds. Slice the chile into thin strips.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the ancho and onion, cover and cook over moderately low heat until the onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add the figs and cook for 5 minutes, then add the water, vinegar and thyme and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the figs are tender and the compote has thickened.
Make AheadThe compote can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
NotesOne Serving Calories 126 kcal, Total Fat 2.8 gm, Saturated Fat 0.4 gm, Protein 2 gm, Carbohydrates 27 gm.