- 1 small ancho chile
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound moist dried figs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Soak the ancho in hot water until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry; discard the stem and seeds. Slice the chile into thin strips.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the ancho and onion, cover and cook over moderately low heat until the onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add the figs and cook for 5 minutes, then add the water, vinegar and thyme and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the figs are tender and the compote has thickened.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.