- 1 brown sugar cube
- 3 to 4 dashes of Baco-Stura bitters (See Note)
- 1 teaspoon chilled club soda
- 1 ounce bonded rye whiskey
- 1 ounce Laird’s bonded apple brandy
- 1 orange twist, flamed, for garnish
- In a chilled rocks glass, combine the sugar cube, Baco-Stura bitters and club soda and muddle to a paste. Add ice and the whiskey and brandy and stir well. Garnish the drink with the flamed orange twist.
Baco-Stura Bitters: In a skillet, cook 3 thick-cut strips of bacon until crisp. Pour 7 1/2 ounces Angostura bitters into a large jar. Add the bacon and all the fat to the jar. Add 1/2 ounce Angostura bitters to the skillet and cook over moderate heat to deglaze the skillet, scraping up any browned bits; add to the jar. Let cool, then seal tightly and freeze for 24 hours. Spoon off the solidified fat and strain the bitters through a coffee filter into a clean jar. Keep at room temperature for up to 1 month. Makes about 6 ounces.